The Liebster Award
A couple of weeks ago, Adelyn from Seeking Saturday tagged me for the Liebster Award! I had no idea what this meant (An award? For me?!), so I did a quick Google search to find out more. Liebster isn’t really an award – there’s no jury or prize or anything like that. But it is a great way for new and/or small blogs to get to know each other and enter a community that is usually very welcoming but may sometimes seem daunting.
So the Liebster Award is given to bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers – I had to improvise a bit on this one because not every blog uses the same methods of acquiring followers. I also didn’t really count Twitter followers, because those might include people who don’t actually follow the blog. I know it looks a bit like those chain letters – did you do that when you were at school? But I think it’s a cool way for getting to know each other.
“Liebster” is a German word that means dearest, according to Google Translate, which I think is quite nice, since we’re supposed to tag blogs that we like. So what are the rules?
- You must share 11 things about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions that the tagger set for you.
- Create 11 questions that your batch of tagged bloggers must answer.
- Choose 11 people and link them in this post (+ social media, so they know they’ve been chosen).
- You can’t tag the person who tagged you!
This is going to be a long post, so BUCKLE UP!
* * *
11 random things about me
- I used to own a pet stick insect. Its name was Thor.
- I really like technology and own various gadgets, but I hate throwing stuff away before it ceases to function, so my laptop (which weighs about 3 kg), my phone (which doesn’t even have a wi-fi function) and my iPod are all older than 4 years.
- I can usually fall asleep anytime, anywhere, but the ticking of a clock drives me nuts if I’m trying to fall asleep. We have no ticking clocks in our apartment.
- I have a wonderful husband who agrees that impulse-buying books is better than impulse-buying shoes.
- I’m a hopeless procrastinator. I’m terrible with deadlines (I keep them but I have to work 14-hour days in the weeks leading up to them), I never schedule my blog posts ahead of time, and I usually read instead of working/studying.
- I am useless at gymnastics and basketball (even though I’m really tall), but I was always the best swimmer in my class.
- Both my parents are psychologists, so it was fun growing up in our home. But I love them to bits.
- I have a younger brother (I was born 2 years, 1 month and 11 days before him) and though we fought like crazy when we were kids, he’s one of my favourite people ever.
- I’m terrified of boats. I can handle big ferries but I absolutely loathe small, wobbly boats, even though I can swim really well. I think it has something to do with my wonky sense of balance.
- I really like to sing. I’m not too good at it, but I love it – I sing at the campfire, in the car, and when I’m listening to my iPod at home (this is quite painful to hear, I guess).
- I want to finish and publish a novel someday. I’ve got loads of ideas but little patience for the actual writing part… That has to change.
* * *
My answers to Adelyn’s 11 questions
- Who was your first book crush? My first serious literary crushes were Andrei Bolkonsky from War and Peace and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, though in retrospect they’re both much too brooding for me.
- If you could be any fictional character, who would you be? Gah. Umm… Elizabeth Bennet? No? Perhaps Hermione Granger, who’s wicked smart and can do magic.
- If you could live in a fictional universe which would you choose? The one from Patrick Rothfuss’ Name of the Wind – I love how it’s built and it would be a good place to live, I think.
- Which author would you let take control of your life? George R.R. Martin. Hahahaha! NOT IN A MILLION YEARS! I think I’d choose Jane Austen who would write me a wonderful ending.
- Which book has had the most impact on your life? Wow, this one’s hard. I guess Lord of the Rings was a huge step for me because it introduced me to the world of epic fantasy. The Harry Potter series was also a big part of my growing up… But I think I owe my love for romance to Pride and Prejudice (there’s a recurring theme here, if you noticed…).
- What was the last place you travelled to? If I don’t count short trips to the mountains and the seaside, it was Helsinki – I went there in November, so it was really cold, but I loved it. I want to return to Finland some day and explore the North as well, but maybe it would be better to do that in the summer!
- Which fictional character would you want to be stranded on an island with? I’d choose Katniss Everdeen because I’m really practical and I’d want to survive above all.
- Which book is your favourite guilty pleasure? Oh, wow, I have so many of these. I’ll answer in a more general way and say that historical romances are my feel-good choice.
- What book made you fall in love with reading? Maybe Matilda by Roald Dahl? Or anything of his, really, and books by Astrid Lindgren. I loved these two authors when I was a kid. I did a post on my favourite childhood reads as well.
- If you could have any superpower, what would you choose? I’ve thought about this one a lot, actually. I think that if I was being altruistic, I’d choose some sort of healing power, but just for myself, I’d choose flying.
- What is the best book you have read this year? Ha. That’s another difficult question. Perhaps Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor (my review)? The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion? The Archived by Victoria Schwab (my review)? It’s really hard to say…
* * *
My 11 questions for you
- What is your favourite summer memory?
- What were your top 3 childhood reads?
- Tea or coffee? Both? Why?
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is your dream travel destination? Why?
- If you could meet any famous person, dead or alive, who would it be? Why?
- Do you have any book-related pet peeves (e.g. I hate people who underline things in library books)?
- What is your favourite dessert?
- If you had to choose only 3 books that would survive the apocalypse, which three would you choose?
- What are your hobbies apart from reading and blogging?
- What is your favourite imaginary creature?
* * *
And finally, we’ve come to the nominees for the “award”! You are listed in no particular order. I chose you because I like your blogs.
- Greg – Book Haven
- Sarah – What Sarah Read
- Carola – Brilliant Years
- Laura – Scribbles and Wanderlust
- Angélique – Maple Books
- Becky – A Fool’s Ingenuity
- Emily – Books & Cleverness
- Lindsey – Bring My Books
- Kimberly – Book Swoon
- Kel – Booked Til Tuesday
- Ashley – Ok, Let’s Read!
You should go read all of them! :)
* * *
If you decide to do this, come back and leave the link to your post in the comments!
I guess some of you might have done this in the past – if so, you can link to your old post, I’d love to learn more about you.