This month passed in a bit of a blur. I went almost completely without the blog and Twitter for a couple of days (I had posts scheduled in advance) and I needed some time off, I think. I feel like I have more energy for writing posts now, even though the second half of October hasn’t really been that good when it comes to reading choices… There will be more reviews to come in November, but I’m currently in search of good discussion/personal post topics, so if you’ve got any recommendations, do share them in the comments! :)
This is my monthly recap post in which I share what’s been happening on the blog, the books I’ve acquired, and my favourite internet reads of the month. You can read my September recap here.
* * *
I am now on Instagram! Come find me @ofdragonsandhearts !
* * *
My translation of Annabel Pitcher’s Ketchup Clouds was published this month!
LOOK AT IT! Isn’t it pretty??
* * *
What I wrote about:
- I shared my first Blogging With Baby post – a month after our kiddo was born.
- I wrote my first “Mini Reviews” post with three new books.
- I reviewed an ARC of Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell.
- I discussed reader problems in a Thursday Thoughts post.
- I flailed and raved about Vicious by V. E. Schwab, easily the best read of the month (I just mis-typed “best” as “beast” which seems oddly appropriate…)
- I participated in a Top Ten Tuesday, because travelling is totally my thing (even if some of my dream travel destinations aren’t that easy to go to!)
- I discussed love triangles – love them, hate them, they’re everywhere!
- I reviewed a book from one of my favourite romance writers, Karen Hawkins: The Prince Who Loved Me.
- I shared some photos from a recent trip with gorgeous weather and a lovely castle.
- I wrote about my dislike of anything scary in this post.
- I reviewed a YA historical fantasy, Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers.
- I unfortunately had to DNF a review book, The Shocking Secret of a Guest at the Wedding.
- I gave in to my urge to rant about my bookish pet peeves.
Not a bad month, all in all, I think! :)
* * *
The books I got:
This was also a good month acquisition-wise. I want to thank the publishers for giving me the chance to read and review the books I’ve received on Netgalley and Edelweiss!
- Povezani (Sloveian translation of Allegiant) by Veronica Roth
- Kdo si, Aljaska? (Slovenian translation of Looking for Alaska) by John Green
- The Shocking Secret of a Guest at the Wedding by Victoria Alexander (Netgalley)
- Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers (were to-read on Netgalley)
- The 100 and Day 21 by Kass Morgan (were to-read on Netgalley)
- Dark Child: Covens Rising by Adina West (Netgalley)
- Cold Feet at Christmas by Debbie Johnson (Netgalley)
- Scrapplings by Amelia Smith (Netgalley)
- The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag (Netgalley)
- Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan (Edelweiss) aaaand
- The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion (Edelweiss)!!!! Eeeep!!!
* * *
Link love – what I found around the web:
- I got nominated for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award by Becky at A Fool’s Ingenuity, which is awesome! Thank you, Becky! :) I’ll do a post on that sometime soon.
- These gorgeous photos of ballet dancers (Swan Lake).
- 12 words even smart people get wrong.
- Truly stunning photos from Iceland: part 1 and part 2.
- Jamie’s post: If We Were Having Coffee.
- 5 steps for tackling anxiety – I may not be very busy work/study-wise right now, but I sure as hell will be soon, so I’m bookmarking this one!
- Awesome idioms from around the world. We have a weird one in Slovenian that translates as: “A word is not a horse” (no kidding!), which means that it never hurts to ask for something, even if there’s a only a slim chance of getting it.
- A monster quiz.
* * *
I hope you had a good October! Did you do anything fun? Any awesome links I should know about?
I’d love to hear from you! :)