This is my monthly recap post for January. You can check what I did in December here.
January was a weird month weather-wise here: most days were warm and unpleasant so everyone I know is ill and I haven’t seen my friends for what seems like forever (they’re avoiding me so my kiddo doesn’t get sick, a gesture I support, but it’s still kind of lonely).
Reading-wise, I’ve been on a New Adult binge which may or may not be a bad thing. We’ll see. These Kindle deals are killing me. My favourite read of the month was Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas, which was a total surprise because I only *liked* books 1 and 2, but didn’t *love* them. Well, I love HOF and can’t wait for Queen of Shadows, which is coming out in the fall. Stardust by Neil Gaiman is a close second, though, another new favourite. Two great books in a month is a good number, I’d say, so I think I started the year off right.
In personal news, our baby boy got his first two teeth this month (two at once – they bothered him immensely). We’re starting to feed him pureed vegetables, too. He’s great and I’m enjoying every day while simultaneously craving more sleep all. the. time.
* * *
What I found around the web (link love):
- 15 ways to survive 2015 – which can be summed up in one word: chill.
- Leaving clutter in 2014.
- Awesome existential Tumblr posts.
- Hilarious questions that librarians received before Google was a thing.
- These cupcakes look so good I want to lick my screen.
- Lindsey of Bring My Books talks about In Your Eyes, which is a movie you should definitely watch if you haven’t already (and if you have, talk to me, I loved it and would love to discuss it!)
- The first scene of the new Outlander episode – Jamie YAY! :)
* * *
What I added to my shelves:
- The Novice (Summoner #1) by Taran Matharu (Netgalley)
- Shadow Scale (Seraphina #2) by Rachel Hartman (Netgalley – it was “Read now”)
- Rush Me, Running Back and Imaginary Lines by Alison Parr (purchased for Kindle)
- Inspire (The Muse #1) by Cora Carmack (purchased for Kindle)
- Boomerang (Boomerang #1) by Noelle August (purchased for Kindle)
- Frigid (Frigid #1) by J. Lynn (purchased for Kindle)
- Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas (purchased – paperback)
- Poison Study (Study #1) by Maria V. Snyder (purchased for Kindle)
- Make it Count and Make it Right (Bowler University #1 and #2) by Megan Erickson
Aw man… I told you I went on a NA bender but this looks REALLY bad even to me… I’m setting a new rule: no new books until I read at least five books I already own (either purchased or ARCs) and no new books in February that I haven’t had on my tbr/wishlist for at least 3 months. We’ll see how that will go!
* * *
What I wrote about:
- I started the year with some holidays in Fantasyland.
- I reviewed a very good historical romance, Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover by Sarah MacLean.
- I was disappointed by Lisa Mantchev’s Ticker.
- I really enjoyed The Dress Shop of Dreams by Menna van Praag.
- I searched for snarky sidekicks with my fellow Tough Travellers.
- I gushed and groaned over my Armentrout addiction.
- I shared some recipes I baked during the holidays! Cheesecake and cookies!
- I went looking for messiahs – and found them.
- I re-read Angelfall by Susan Ee and liked it the second time around, too.
- I shared my top ten fantasy heroes – I like my bastards and my orphans!
- I made a list of fuzzy and cuddly (but not always) pets!
- I reviewed another historical romance, If the Viscount Falls by Sabrina Jeffries.
- I wrote about my love for Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.
- I started a new feature, Author Addiction, with Becky! Come join us on Monday, February 2, for a chat about Jennifer L. Armentrout (J. Lynn)!
- I got tagged by Danya to do the “I Mustache You Some Questions” tag!
Wow, this month was really productive! I usually write less posts. Go me! :)
* * *
How was your January? Did you do anything interesting?
What was the best book you read this month?
I’d love to hear from you! :)