I’m participating in this week’s Tough Travels meme again. It’s hosted by Nathan of Fantasy Review Barn and is a great way to explore Fantasyland and create lists, YAY! Don’t forget to go and check out what other participating bloggers have put on their lists – my tbr expands every week because of them! :)
This week’s topic is PETS (thank you, Nathan’s wife, this was a fun one to put together!): Everybody needs somebody to love. And the best companionship doesn’t always come from the same sentient group, does it? Be it furry or scaled, large or small, sometimes an animal companion is the best thing a person can have.
Well. I’m going to have to make some limitations for this one. I’m not counting all animal companions here, because Fitz’s Nighteyes, for example, would probably bite anyone who wanted to name him a pet. Ditto for Gandalf’s Shadowfax, Daenerys’s Viserion, Rhaegal and Drogon, or Lyra’s Pantalaimon.
I had two pets when I was a kid – the first one was a stick insect whom I named Thor (I was 11) and who lived for a freakishly long time (probably because of the steady diet of fresh raspberry leaves I fed him), and the other was a gray gerbil (my brother had a white one) who wasn’t too keen on petting and bit a lot. Having lived in an apartment my entire life, I can now understand my parents’ refusal to buy us anything larger than a gerbil, though. If I could choose any pet now, I’d pick a corgi. They’re adorable.
This is my list of pets from Fantasyland:
- Nymeria, Arya Stark’s direwolf from A Song of Ice and Fire. And all the other direwolves that belong to the Stark kids (Summer, Shaggydog, Grey Wind, Lady, Ghost). All the puppies (–>)!! I know they’re more important than mere pets but they’re not really sentient, so I’m counting them.
- Scabbers, Ron Weasley’s rat from the Harry Potter series. I KNOW he turns out to be an intensely creepy middle-aged man, but Ron thinks he’s just an ordinary rat. Honorary mentions from this series: Crookshanks, Hedwig, Trevor, Fang, Fawkes, Fluffy and pygmy puffs.
- Dagda, Morgan Rowland’s kitten from Sweep series by Cate Tiernan. This is quite a cheesy series about teenage witches but I’ve been re-reading them these days after… ten years, so the kitty is fresh in my memory.
- Buttercup, Prim Everdeen’s ugly cat from The Hunger Games. He’s one lucky cat and survives all the attacks (I think).
- Locke’s kitten from Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. I’m cheating here because I don’t remember the name. But I liked the fact that it’s bad luck to sail a boat (or a ship) without a cat on board – and the first thing that happens when Locke and Jean embark on their quest to become pirates is that Locke forgets to take cats with them. He later befriends a kitten despite his best efforts to avoid any such companionship.
- Fleetfoot, Celaena Sardothien’s dog from Throne of Glass. The pup is a gift from prince Dorian and is Celaena’s faithful companion.
- Ged’s otak from A Wizard of Earthsea. I don’t remember the name but the creature was a fluffball, I think, and travelled around on Ged’s shoulder (or was it in his hood?). Shame on me for forgetting everything.
* * *
What faithful creature have I missed?
Did you have any pets growing up? Do you still have any?
I’d love to hear about them all! :)