I’m participating in this week’s Tough Travels meme again – hosted by Nathan of Fantasy Review Barn. This is one great way to explore Fantasyland and create lists, YAY! Don’t forget to go and check out what other participating bloggers have put on their lists – my tbr expands every week because of them! :)
Hello, lovely people. I’m working on this post on Wednesday night because this has been a crazy week with too little sleep (yay for waking up at 3 am!).
This week’s topic is SNARKY SIDEKICKS: Why is everyone so serious all the time? Perhaps they need a friend that is there with a quick wit to liven the day; even if the day is looking to quickly turn to blood. I decided to differentiate between snarky helpers (such as Bast from The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, because he’s more of an apprentice, really) and snarky sidekicks, who actually go on adventures with the hero of the story. These are the ones I came up with:
- Nighteyes the wolf from The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb – he’s not human but he communicates with Fitz and their relationship is the best.
- Calo and Galdo Sanza from The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch – they are identical twins, masters of swearing and great friends. They are known for being womanizers (though the truth of their bragging is debatable) and they constantly annoy each other.
- Eddison Tollet, aka Dolorous Edd from The Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin – he of the inappropriate jokes. He’s one of those who are loyal to Jon Snow (at least as far as I remember – and I haven’t read A Dance with Dragons yet, so there’s that).
- Zuzana Novakova from Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor – she’s the world-class champion of the snarky eyebrow lift, a rabid fairy, and a truly amazing friend to Karou, willing to literally cross worlds to help.
- Grover Underwood, the satyr from the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan – he’s a real chicken sometimes but stands true by Percy’s side and tries his best to protect him. He also stress-eats soda cans and paper plates, if I remember correctly.
* * *
What are your favourite snarky best friends?