Do you always finish a series you start? Or perhaps only when you like the first part? I’m really bad with both of those – I’m always trying out new series, reading the first book and usually liking it, but then I start a new one instead of buying and reading the rest. I feel like my series attention span has shortened since I’ve started blogging.
Sometimes, the problem lies in the fact that I have to wait for the sequels to be published. But quite often, I’m putting off finishing a series because:
- I loved book one, was slightly less enthusiastic about book two, and am dreading the conclusion because it could ruin the series or make everything right (this happened with End of Days and I was disappointed).
- I liked book one but people whose taste I trust didn’t like the rest of the series as much as the beginning.
- There are just so many parts (Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time and Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series).
- I’m just not in the mood (most of the other series). Ugh.
Also, the longer the wait between parts, the more anxious I become about what the story will be like – especially if I’m waiting for the conclusion of the series (hello, Patrick Rothfuss).
I want to be better at finishing series. I have enjoyed the beginnings of these following sagas a lot, so I want to follow through and see what happens with my beloved characters. There are also series I have no intention of continuing (I recently decided to give up on George R. R. Martin *le gasp*), no matter how deep I got with them. I finished Allegiant by Veronica Roth a few months ago and it was such a waste of my time…
I will hopefully be crossing them off as time goes by. Some of them also appear on this list! I will make a tentative goal/resolution: I want to finish two series before starting a new one. Eep!
Last edited: 22 August 2016.
- Doors of Stone
and The Slow Regard of Silent Things (June 2016)by Patrick Rothfuss
- Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch
- Wicked Charms by Janet Evanovich
Queen of Shadows (December 2015) and A Court of Mist and Fury (May 2016) andACOTAR #3 by Sarah J. Maas
- Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
A Gathering of Shadows (March 2016)A Conjuring of Light #3 by V. E. Schwab
- Monsters of Verity #2 by V. E. Schwab
Half a War by Joe Abercrombie (July 2015; SERIES FINISHED) Every Last Breath (August 2015; SERIES FINISHED) and Torn (August 2016) and Brave by Jennifer L. Armentrout (I dropped the series) My Kind of Wonderful by Jill Shalvis
- The Single Undead Moms Club by Molly Harper
- Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare
Nobody But You by Jill Shalvis (March 2016; SERIES FINISHED) The Mad Ship (July 2015) andShip of Destiny by Robin Hobb (owned)
- Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers
- The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis
- Mind Games by Heather W. Petty
- Paper and Fire and Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine
- Lord of Chaos (o) (and 8 other parts) by Robert Jordan
- Shadow of Night (o) and The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
- Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (o)
- The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (o) (August 2015; SERIES FINISHED)
- Burn by Julianna Baggott
- The Unbound by Victoria Schwab
- Half Wild by Sally Green (o)
- Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard
Lady Thief (o) andLion Heart by A. C. Gaughen Every Word and Every Move by Ellie Marney (February 2016; SERIES FINISHED)
- Changeless (and sequels) by Gail Carriger
Lean Mean Thirteen (March 2016)Fearless Fourteen (and sequels) by Janet Evanovich The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead (SERIES FINISHED)
- Red Glove and Black Heart by Holly Black
Fool Moon (o) (and sequels) by Jim Butcher (I dropped the series) Hidden Huntress (o) (June 2015) and Warrior Witch by Danielle L. Jensen (April 2016; SERIES FINISHED) Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (o) (April 2016) (SERIES FINISHED)
- Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning
One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron (January 2016) No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron (o) (August 2016)
- Last Dragon Standing by Rachel Aaron
Haze by Paula Weston (I dropped the series) Saga Vol 4 (read in March 2016) andSaga Vol 5 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples The Crown of Embers and The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson (I dropped the series) Son of the Shadows (July 2016) andChild of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier The Heart of Betrayal (January 2016) andThe Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson The Elite (December 2015) andThe Heir by Kiera Cass Rogue (o) (May 2016) andSoldier and Legion by Julie Kagawa
- The Exiled Queen by Cinda Williams Chima
- The Girl from Everywhere #2 by Heidi Heilig
Whew! That is quite a list, no?
What sequels are on your tbr list?
Do you finish what you started or are you forever searching for something new?
I’d love to hear from you! :)