People, I thought about skipping this month’s reacap because I feel like time is running away from me but I like looking back at what I’ve done the past month and feel like I’ve accomplished something after all. You can see my June post here. I’m also linking this wrap-up to this post, where you can check up other people’s end-of-month posts and see what they’ve been up to.
The best book I read was probably The Accident Season. I’ve been thinking about it for weeks now and I really hope it will get more hype as the US publication date comes up!
We had a three-week heatwave here in Slovenia, which was absurdly hot (go figure) and my mind felt like it turned into Nutella – all warm and gooey and useless when it comes to work/studying. We took a couple of days off and escaped the city in search of cooler places.
Kiddo is doing great, he’s 11 months old now and can stand on his own for a couple of seconds at a time before dropping back onto his bum with a poof. He’s got 8 teeth and is happily munching away at whatever we feed him (though tomatoes, my father’s beautiful, home-grown tomatoes, seem to be giving him some tummy problems…). He’s going to nursery school in a month and I just want to cuddle him and keep him at home, which is really counter-productive, because:
I’m finally getting back to working and studying. I’m a PhD student and a freelance translator which means I work from home, which is both a blessing and a curse. But it feels nice to put my brain to work again, I missed this so much. We’re sleeping better, too, which is a huge factor for my productivity and motivation.
I didn’t get that many books this month, apart from a signed edition of Joe Abercrombie’s Half a War that I’ve already devoured. OK, so I also got a Kindle edition of Jennifer Armentrout’s Every Last Breath but that’s a given. I’m trying really hard to get through the books I already own (both physical and arcs), and I feel like I’m doing good. I’m really excited about this arc of The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow that I got off Netgalley – I feel it’s going to be epic! :)
What I’ve been writing about:
- I reviewed some pretty great books in July: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Accident Season (which was AMAZING), The Art of Sinning, Hidden Huntress and Lying Out Loud.
- I chatted about Jazz and Modern Art, Tessa Dare (this is an Author Addiction post) and Fan Fic and Harry Potter and Sex.
- I participated in some memes: Tough Travels (Extreme Climates and Middle Aged Heroes) and Top Ten Tuesday (with a really cool topic: Book Nerds).
- I did a postcard exchange with Asti from Oh, the Books! Go check out our recommendations and see what a cool postcard she sent me! :)
- This rant about fan fiction by Robin Hobb, one of my favourite artists (suggested to me by Inconsistent Pacing).
- Tiny objects matched with Panetone chips make me happy.
- Lego makes prosthetics for kids more fun!
- Tessa Dare shared the first chapter of her forthcoming novel, When a Scott Ties the Knot and it’s looking good! I can’t wait to get my hands on it!
- A list of 100 swoony romances (everyone needs more romance in their lives!).
- Extremely accurate charts about book nerds.
How was your July? Did you do anything special?
What was the best book you read?
I’d love to hear from you! :)