People, summer is almost over. Kiddo turns one today and I’ve been thinking about this year a lot, what with going over my blogging resolutions and challenges and spending some time away from home. It’s been a great year so far and I can only hope the last four months will be just as good! I’m excited for the cooler weather, actually, even though we currently have 32°C and perfect sunny skies in Ljubljana.
In Kiddo news: we’re celebrating Kiddo’s birthday today – just the three of us, because we said we wanted to do this on our own first, and then we’ll have small gatherings for grandmas and grandpas and other family members and friends. This means lots of cake, which is always cool, but I think small is the way to go for now. He’ll have huge raucous gatherings when he’s older anyway. He’s starting nursery school this week so that’s new. I hope he doesn’t immediately get sick, though they warned us he might – most kids do once they get together like this. There will be 14 toddlers in his group which sounds chaotic to me but seems to be working perfectly for most of the kids so I’m reserving my judgement. I really want him to like nursery school and meet friends and all.
Here is a stack of pigs for your entertainment – we went to the ZOO last week and saw this adorable bundle at the petting zoo – they weren’t bothered by our arrival at all, just kept on snoring. Kiddo got frightened by a tiny pig (it didn’t even do anything, just walked around) and started crying in the most pitiful way so we didn’t linger, but I thought I’d share this with you. I didn’t know pigs slept like this… It must be warm and cushy but perhaps not very comfortable if you’re the one smelling your brother’s butt?
We spent some time in Premantura, Croatia, where the main attraction is going to the beach at the Kamenjak Peninsula, a natural reserve with really beautiful beaches and amazingly clean water. If you’re following me on Instagram, I posted some pics there, too. It was lovely, it’s still hot and sunny but the nights are longer and colder. The skies were that washed-out blue that goes perfectly with the burnt brown of the grass and the water was cool and clear.
In work/study news: I’ve been marathoning writing my article for a while now, it’s slow going mostly because I can only work when Kiddo’s asleep but A. has been a real help because he’s taken some time off work and has been entertaining Kiddo so I can type away. Ugh. I’d much rather be spending time with them, but what can I do?
In reading and blogging news: August wasn’t a great reading month for me. It wasn’t bad but I’ve been putting my evenings to good use and writing that article, so I only read 6 or 7 novels, which isn’t that bad but I usually read more. Tessa Dare’s new novel, When a Scot Ties the Knot is the best I read, I think, but I’m currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which I’m enjoying a lot. I haven’t been blogging a lot, either, I actually wrote most of the August posts in July when I was procrastinating and doing anything I could think of to avoid starting the damn article, but I hope to get back into the routine as September starts. I’ve been rubbish at commenting and answering comments and commenting back, too, none of which has been helped by the fact that my phone died and I feel like it’s the end of the world (it’s not, but still).
What I wrote about:
- Discussions: Challenges and Resolutions, Just Another Love Triangle.
- Reviews: Half a War, Soulless, The Kiss of Deception, Blackmail Boyfriend, The Mad Ship.
- Memes: Tough Travels: Forbidden Love, Top Ten Tuesday: Fairytale Retellings.
- Other awesome stuff: The Classics Spin #2, A Castle and a Park, Author Addiction: Robin Hobb, My July.
What I read about (link love):
- I’m linking my post to this one, I really like seeing what other bloggers have been up to.
- How to create folders in Bloglovin’ – I didn’t know I could do that. I have to do it soon, though, my feed is out of control!
- How to edit bookish photos in Picmonkey – a simple tutorial I have to try out (I’ve been using Instagram and sometimes Gimp for this – I’m not very good…).
- 17 ways to care for your resident bookworm – yes please to most of these.
- I’m loving Taylor’s new video for Wildest Dreams (yeah, yeah, I know…) – the vibe reminds me a bit of The English Patient (the movie, I haven’t read the book), which I loved and really should see again soon. Ralph Fiennes <3 And she’s giving the money she makes to charity which is also cool.
- Liking problematic things and people – I think Nikki raised a lot of interesting questions here.
- The worst expressions to use in sexy scenes – I can’t tell you how true this is. I have huge trouble translating stuff like this when I’m working on romance novels, let me tell you that!
- Slightly icky but very interesting – they preserved the first blue whale heart and it’s huge!
How was your August? What was the best book your read?
Are you excited for the autumn? (By the way, do you use “autumn” or “fall” and why? I’m always confused about this…)
I’d love to hear from you!