February has been an interesting month. As I’m writing this, Kiddo has an ear infection (and has just stopped having fever) and my husband’s home sick with an infected throat and a fever, so it’s been… fun. But other than this past week, things have been pretty great, so I can’t complain, though I would love to have a full night’s sleep every once in a while (*crosses fingers*).
So, this “news” thing I put in the title to entice you all to click the post. It’s pretty damn major. We’re having another baby! I can finally share this with you because I’m past my first trimester and have had my nuchal translucency exam, which told us that the tiny future-human is doing okay so far. It’s still too small for me to feel its kicks but it looked like it was having a workout when I had my ultrasound examination.
I’m feeling okay now though the first two months were pretty hard – I felt sick (though I didn’t throw up) throughout the day and the worst thing was that my sense of smell went haywire. This is one of those things that popular culture usually fails to mention but most pregnant women experience at least some change in their sense of smell. I did the first time around, too, but this time it’s extreme. I had to switch my deodorant and shower gel, milk smells awful, and coffee is out of the question for me. So yeah, I’ve made some adjustments. But I’ve also had some weird food cravings, like hummus and bread with mustard.
All in all, I’m really excited to know that in 6 months (my due date is August 25, which is, incidentally, the same due date as for Kiddo – who was then born on September 1) I’ll get to know this kid. But it also means that my workload right now is absolutely enormous if I want to finish some projects in time. So things around here might get a little chaotic – don’t hold it against me. :)
In book news, my reading slump has been dragging on, and though I did give The Demon King a 4.5 rating, I’m still feeling kind of disenchanted with my reading choices in 2016. Here’s hoping March does better in this regard. I’m still waiting for my copy of A Gathering of Shadows to arrive in the mail and I have Every Move and The Girl From Everywhere lined up next, so I’m feeling optimistic.
What I wrote:
- Reviews: One Good Dragon Deserves Another*, Nimona*, Illuminae, and Hot and Nerdy
- Discussion: All the Hype
- Random: Spring & Sea and Gone to the Movies: When Harry Met Sally.
- Baby sleep positions. This will probably be less hilarious if you aren’t a parent but it still makes me giggle because it’s absolutely accurate. We don’t co-sleep as a rule but sometimes it’s inevitable – and always uncomfortable.
- Alicia shared music recommendations for fans of magical realism and they’re great.
- Jolien talks about why she doesn’t read in her own language. I relate to a lot of her points.
- The Beaufort Wind Scale is actually beautiful poetry.
- An artist draws famous logos by hand. These are really cool!
- Some strange but beautiful photos of human figures with bouquets for heads.
- If you’re interested in fashion, here’s an interview with a stylist who talks about the process of getting a celebrity red-carpet ready.
How was your February? Did you read any good books?
Did anything surprise you last month?
I’d love to hear from you! :)