I have decided to put myself through another challenge of sorts – though this one isn’t really time-limited, so I like it more than my other challenges. I got this idea in a rather convoluted way: Quinn mentioned she was doing a challenge hosted by The Herd Presents – and I modified it to suit my needs because the original challenge was too extreme for me (oops).
This is what my challenge is all about: picking an author (or multiple authors) that I loved but only discovered when they were already well into their writing career. Proceed to read all of their published books. That’s it.
Okay, well, maybe not. I won’t be putting novellas or short stories on this list. I’m not that crazy. Also, I probably won’t choose authors if I’ve only read one of their books and they have a massive backlist. This is why the original challenge was too difficult for me: it says I should pick an author who has published 45+ books and read them all. Even assuming this criterion only works for romance authors, who tend to be most prolific (with some other genres like crime coming in as close seconds – but I don’t read those), this is a massive undertaking. To massive for my current reading situation.
I’ll be updating this list/post when I make progress; I may even add new authors to it as I discover them. For now, I’m listing all the unread books I want to read – if it’s not on the list, you can safely assume I’ve read it already. I also added some of their upcoming titles – just so I get to cross them off the list once I get to them.
That said, if there’s anyone out there willing to join me in this very vague challenge, feel free to do your own post, pick your own authors, then drop me a link in the comments so I can add it somewhere in this post. The more, the merrier, eh? :)
Behold, the list:
- Rainbow Rowell: Landline
- Victoria (V. E.) Schwab: The Unbound, A Conjuring of Light (coming in 2017), New Beginnings, Second Chances, Last Wishes
- Patrick Ness: More Than This, The Rest of Us Just Live Here, The Crane Wife
- Karen Hawkins: Catherine and the Pirate, Lois Lane Tells All, Mad for the Plaid (coming in late 2016). I also want to reread some of her work, she’s great, but that’s another topic altogether.
- Laini Taylor: Strange the Dreamer (coming in 2017), Blackbringer, Silksinger
- Tessa Dare: Do You Want to Start a Scandal (coming in Sep 2016), Goddess of the Hunt, Three Nights with a Scoundrel, Twice Tempted by a Rogue, Surrender of a Siren, A Lady of Persuasion
I think this is plenty for now – I’m sure new favorites will pop up all the time and I’ll be expanding this list instead of conquering it, as usual.
Are you in the habit of reading your favorite authors’ backlists?
Who would you add to my list (whose work should I know in its entirety)?
I’d love to hear from you! :)