The year has come to an end. Finally, most people will say, given that 2016 has been a pretty tough year. But as I said, it has been a good year for me, and these books made it better. Books have the power to do that sometimes. I divided them into categories and linked to my reviews where they’re available – I’m still behind with writing them, oops.
It has been a year of comfort reads and losing myself in fantasy worlds, so the list reflects that, I think. The lists themselves are in random order.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – this one blew me away. I love thief stories!
- Iron Cast by Destiny Soria – such a gorgeous book. And a debut, too.
- No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished and One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron – the sequels of one of my favourite series. <3
- Red Seas Under Red Skies and The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch – rereads, obviously, but still.
- The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison – featuring one of the kindest main characters I’ve ever read.
- Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier – maybe even better than the first book of the series!
- This Savage Song and A Gathering of Shadows by Victoria Schwab – she just keeps kicking ass, this one. I love her stories.
- The Demon King and The Exiled Queen by Cinda Williams Chima – one of the best YA high fantasy series I’ve read recently.
- Nimona by Noelle Stevenson – my first graphic novel in a long time, I loved it.
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – yeahh, still one of my favourites.
Best of Romance
- To Love and to Cherish by Lauren Layne – this one spawned a binge of Layne’s backlist. I haven’t reviewed any others yet but I fell in love with her stories! I especially loved Blurred Lines.
- How Not To Fall and How Not To Let Go by Emily Foster – maybe the only romance that made me cry? I *loved* them!
- Because of Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn – I read this one twice and I still think it’s great!
- Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie – okay so it’s not just a romance but it was laugh-out-loud hilarious.
- The Year We Fell Down and the entire Ivy Years series by Sarina Bowen – sports NA romance at its finest, really.
- Act Like It by Lucy Parker – very good + bantery.
Best of Other
- When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore – gorgeous writing and packs a real punch.
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows – this was fantastic. Not my usual fare but so good!
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes – I loved the book so much but the movie just wasn’t that good.
- The Martian by Andy Weir – one of the few Sci-Fi titles I read this year. I loved it!
- Saga by Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughan – I really need to catch up with this one.
Which books will you remember most from 2016?
Was it a good reading year for you?
I’d love to hear from you! :)