There was a time, about six months ago, when I was feeling super optimistic and joined not one, but two reading challenges that consist of reading books you already own instead of buying new ones. I think it’s safe to say I’m failing spectacularly at both of them as I’ve bought nearly 50 books in 2017. Yeah, that’s right. Some sof them were birthday gifts and a lot of them were Kindle deals, so I haven’t beggared our family yet (I’m actually being really good and sticking to my self-allotted book budget). But here are some of the more memorable ones (I might or might not review them at a later date). Links go to reviews if reviews exist!
Bought/Received and Read:
- The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater – yeah, all four books. So good.
- The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima – not as good as the first two but still fairly okay.
- Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle – again, not as good as her first but pretty addictive nonetheless
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor – SUCH a disappointment. :(
- The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton – I wanted to love this one so much but just didn’t.
- A Conjuring of Light by Victoria Schwab – reviewed this already.
- Pretty Face by Lucy Parker – I love this series, it’s such great fun!
- Walk of Shame by Lauren Layne – this was fantastic. The ending was a bit rushed but still great!
- City of the Lost and A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong – WOW this is fantastic! I am totally hooked on this series and if you have more similar recs for me, I need them now.
- The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes – Maraia recommended this after I told her I loved Armstrong’s books and it was so so good!
- Temptations of a Wallflower by Eva Leigh – this was really good! I don’t read many historicals these days but I like discovering new authors.
- Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews – I quite enjoyed this! Alpha male warning though.
- The Day of the Duchess by Sarah MacLean – much anticipated but sadly my least favorite of her books! :( I just couldn’t forgive the hero.
- Sustained by Emma Chase – this was me giving Chase a second try after pretty much hating her first Royally book, and I didn’t like this one, either. So Chase just isn’t for me, I guess.
- Haze by Paula Weston – I finally decided to continue this series, and this second part was even better! I’ll have to get the rest soon before I forget too much. Lots of angst.
- Half of Sarina Bowen’s opus – I’ve been on a serious Bowen binge, she’s one of my favorite new romance discoveries! I even fell in love with sports romance (hockey, woop!).
Honestly, there was a lot more romance. :D
Bought/Received and Waiting to be Read:
- Landline by Rainbow Rowell – I finally got this to complete my collection (still missing Kindred Spirits though)
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas – I can’t bring myself to start this. I haven’t the energy.
- Temeraire by Naomi Novik – I said I wouldn’t start this series because it’s so long but then it was a Kindle deal and I kind of had to, after how much I enjoyed Uprooted.
- Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette-Kowal – this has been on my to-buy list for a long time and then I saw it was less than 4$ and had to pick it up. It came highly recommended + the cover is gorgeous.
- Finger Lickin’ 15 by Janet Evanovich – I buy one Stephanie Plum book every 6 months or so. I might catch up with the series in a decade or so! :)
- Leon and Louise by Alex Capus – my mom gave me this one for my birthday, it’s supposed to be really good!
What have you been reading and buying?
Anything I should put on my to-buy list immediately?
I’d love to hear from you! :)